Thursday, July 11, 2013

The 'F' Word - Fundraising


Cancer is expensive. No matter how good your insurance is there is always money leaking from your pockets. First you meet the deductible. Next, you are left with a percentage of the treatments. Then, every time you visit a doctor, there is co-pay. On top of that hole in your pocket is the medicine. You also have to include the gas to and from the appointments. Not to mention the work you miss.

 

First, no one wants to have to go through this. It’s not like I woke up one day and said.. Cancer sounds like fun! My life is incredibly stable. Let’s throw a disease in there! Woooooo. If you think I asked for a cancer, you are insane. Stupid disease has taken over my life.

 

Secondly, it’s not like I want to ask for help. If you look at my income vs. cancer treatments there is NO WAY IN HELL I could do this alone. Quite a few of you think I have this bucket of cash stashed somewhere. It’s not true. Yes, I have money for my treatments. I have had quite a few donations. I am blessed with some incredible people and their incredible generosity. The treatments happen every two weeks, folks. So the co-pays, the gas money, the refills happen every two weeks. I really cannot do this on my own. Shit, I feel uncomfortable even posting about this.

 

Did you know that medical billing doesn’t have to be mailed out right away? They have up to six months to bill you? I didn’t either.

 

So yes, you are probably sick of my link to my site. Worry not. Just do not donate.

 

I am tired of asking and I still have through September to keep doing this. So yes, I will still ask for help. And yes, I will still feel awful for having to ask.

 

If you hate seeing me ask once every couple of weeks, then hide my feed. I get it. Just don’t forget me.

 

Otherwise, wear my pin. Donate if you can. Send hugs always.

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya. I was a contractor with no sick time during radiation (36 treatments with a co-pay every single time). It took me two years to get caught up on the bills that got behind while I was paying to make sure my boob didn't succeed at killing me.

    Much love to you, and more dollars when I'm able...

    ReplyDelete